Stall fed method (கொட்டில் முறை வளர்ப்பு) is the best way to rear goats. Why..?Its profitable, highly manageable, professional and the most practical method of rearing meat goats.
Why it’s profitable?
In this method, goats are always kept inside the shed and not allowed to graze outside. So,
- Wastage of energy during grazing is avoided, so more weight gain and more price
- Less labor time and dependency- labor is needed only for feeding and maintaining goats. With two times feeding per day, labor on time is 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.
- No need to clean manure. Again a save in labor.
- Depending on the age and stage of goats, you can feed them differently and avoid unintended or excess concentrate feeding to unproductive or non pregnant goats.
- Disease outbreaks and parasitic infestations are very less since, there is no contact with outside goats.
- Maintaining records is pretty easy, if goats are properly segregated.
I think most will agree that, reducing costs on labor, feeding and disease control equates to a profitable goat farm business.
Models of Stall fed goat shed: click on the image to enlarge it
An adult goat needs about 10 square feet housing space in stall fed goat farming system. The house can be build of either wood, bamboo or concrete. Make proper facilities for cleaning the house. If possible make a drain inside the house. Make big windows so that fresh air can flow inside the house during summer. Cover the house at night with hessian during the winter season and keep some straw, hay or wood shavings in the floor for providing warmth.
Making the Goats Accustomed to Stay Inside House
Don’t keep the goats inside the house for all the day after purchasing. For the first time, let the goats graze in the field 6-8 hours daily and keep them confined for rest of the day and provide them sufficient food and cleanwater. Do this for 1-2 weeks and gradually decrease grazing time. And then your goats will be accustomed inside house. But if your goats are used to stay inside the house after their birth then this method is not necessary (you can easily raise them in stall feeding system).
- Try to select a dry and higher place for making the goat house. Ensure that, the selected goat housing area is high enough to keep the goats safe from floods.
- Keep the floor of the house always dry.
- Always ensure adequate light and air inside the house.
- Make house in such a way so that it become very suitable for controlling temperature and moisture.
- Always keep the house free from being damped.
- Never let the rain water enter inside the house.
- Try to make the wall of the house with concrete or by using bamboo poles.
- The house should be strong and comfortable.
- Keep enough space inside the house for taking rest.
- The house must have to have the facilities of cleaning well regularly.
- Goats aren’t particularly amused by about cold and water.
- Take extra care in rainy/winter season to prevent development of respiratory diseases like pneumonia.